Friday, June 29, 2018

The finest of Austria, part zwei:


It was about this time last year I last posted. Life and work being the whirlwind it sometimes is, I hadn’t even realized that fact until I got the hankering to tear into another story. I might have to pick up the pace… I would like to write more than 10 more articles before I retire. In our last installment my son and I had resurrected a 1978 Puch Newport moped and I was consumed with its thrift and questioned why everyone didn’t do this for transportation. … Then I found out why.

The reality sank in (well, was more like beat in) about the fifth time someone pulled out right in front of me as if I was non-existent. In most cases I was burning along on my chainsaw-engine driven bike wound up tight with no opportunity to dodge the bullet, I just had to out-brake it. Each time, the drivers not only had a telephone glued to the side of their head, but also had that distant gaze thing going, so I truly wasn’t “seen” even though they looked right at me. Had they been paying attention, they likely could have seen the fear in my eyes as easily as a saw the lack of cognition in theirs. On other occasions I had impatient folks pulling around me so closely that they polished the end of my left handlebar grip. In the end I concluded life and limb hinges not only on the rider’s awareness, but lots of visibility and a little power to get out of trouble when needed.

The Puch didn’t go away, but it did adapt. It got faster and much more visible; I’ve hot rodded it modestly and improved the lighting. The economy has suffered as I now get an appalling 85 MPG for my shenanigans. But I can swallow this distasteful fact as it makes the machine more practical, more usable and safer (yes, faster can be safer. If you don’t believe that, try keeping your cool as a 2½ ton SUV blows by you within millimeters going 45MPH while you are buzzing along merrily at 25 MPH on a machine that weighs less than 100 lbs. dripping wet).

All these mods which I’ve performed on this antique got me thinking; How much of our modern automotive evolution would we willingly pony up for ourselves if we didn’t already have those decisions made for us? In my case I opted for improved performance and visibility; an attempt to enjoy the hobby more and hopefully postpone a trip to the hospital. And when my wife and I went car shopping earlier this year, I was grateful I would be putting her in something with side-curtain airbags. I’ve seen the pathetic attention paid my much of motoring America and wanted her to have some protection.

I recently had the opportunity to travel to one of the auto manufacturer’s annual model year preview events, wherein they blew their own horn about the new model’s bells and whistles. This time they spent most of the presentation extolling the virtues of vehicles which required even less interactive operator involvement than we have already slumped to. Standard equipment will now include (if I understood correctly) autonomous braking and lane-departure warning systems. Based on my adventures in Slo-pedding, I’m not at all sure I object. NHTSA may have a strong point: Since you can’t change the driver, change the equipment.

You see, the garden variety American motorist is hell-bent on proving not only that they don’t know how to drive, but also that they have no interest in learning…. “Oh please” they clamor, “take these pedestrian duties from us so that we don’t have to become pedestrians!”. I can hear the crinkle of checkbooks opening now….
… Or maybe that’s just my ears acting up from riding the chainsaw.

© 2018 D.W. Williams 

No comments:

Post a Comment