Monday, December 22, 2014

The Scirocco

It was about 1987. Earlier that year my need for cheap wheels and the vacuum in my cousin’s wallet had collided to form my marriage with a 1977 Mk1 VW Scirocco. The car was a Frankenstein built of a hodge-podge of salvage parts, and even though my cousin had been a part of building the engine he didn't remember what all went into it. I didn't care. It ran hard for no more than it was and really enjoyed life above 3000 RPM. I often gave it that opportunity.

On this particular November evening I was enroute back to St. Louis from visiting family in Kansas City. These trips were fairly frequent, and as I had the attention span of a six year old in a toy-shop, I would often take two-lane to break up interstate monotony. The road was winding, the car responsive, and I was making good time.

The air was crisp at about 35 degrees and somewhere around a megapolis called Rosebud I hit fog. It got thicker as I drove so it wasn't long before my 65 MPH curve-carving spree gave up the ghost. If visibility hadn't killed it the car would have. Soon I found myself downshifting and straining to hold 25 MPH on hills. Up ahead I saw lights and pulled in. A 2-bay self-service car wash with flickering fluorescent lights, It looked abandoned except for the presence of all the wash hardware. Lifting the hood of my $800 wonder, I noted that the aftermarket Weber carburetor was encased in ice. The carburetor heat-riser had been discarded with the OEM induction, so there was nothing to do but sit around until it thawed and limp it along until I hit dryer air.

This would never occur today. The ‘80s brought computer controls and fuel injection, the ‘90s advanced the artform, and today it is rare to have anomalous automotive behavior. Somehow the software engineers have infused their coding with Ritalin and Xanax. Mass-produced cars are no longer flighty, prone to moodiness or angry outbursts. You turn the key and they go.

But sometimes as I stand in a parking lot and push the panic button on the remote FOB to locate my mundane wheels among its Stepford Wife sisters, I find myself missing the fire.


© 2014 D.W. Williams. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment